Thursday, February 27, 2014

Project Sewn - Peplum and Cardi (Signature Style)


I was so close to naming this post, AND I'M DONE, because I didn't think I could possibly finish these pieces before the link up deadline for Project Sewn this week, but I did it!  I know I don't have to sew along, but really, I just had to.  Project Sewn is one of the only reasons I make time for any items for myself.  It's more challenging for me to make items for myself than the kids.  I need to learn more about sewing for women - which means I need to sew more for me!  end of rant/babbling.

The theme for this week is your Signature Style.  I knew from the start that I wanted to try out the Ladies Caroline Peplum/Dress and Julia Cardigan sewing patterns from Mouse House Creations.  I haven't sewn something like either before and it looked just like something I'd gravitate to at the store.  


I bought this beautiful floral rayon challis in the redtag section of JoAnn.  I've only found rayon challis in that section.  Where the heck do they hide this stuff at regular price in the store?!?  Unfortunately there was not enough fabric left to make the dress, so I went for the Peplum.  I made it sleeveless because I think sleeveless tops are more versatile.  I can wear them year round, just with a cardigan when it gets cold.  


The top is unlined.  I finished the armholes and neckline with red bias tape, a first for me.  I had to take in the seams quite a bit and it's still a bit too big in the front.  This is likely due to the fabric choice, but I couldn't help myself.  I'm the worst when it comes to using the right fabrics for the right patterns.  I just fall in love with things and try to make it all work instead.  Some day I'll learn…


The cardigan is pretty darn cool.  I made it with the same sweater knit I used for this Plantain tee.  I ran back to the store and they had just enough left to make this.  It's tough to see in the pic, but the cardigan is made with an oversized collar that drapes so beautifully.  I really like it and can't wait to sew up the extended cap sleeve version.


The back is super great too, since it covers a lot of the tush!


So here we are, the end of sewing along for Project Sewn this season!  I'll try to keep up the motivation for sewing for myself while waiting for the next season to begin.  There is so much I want to learn about sewing women's patterns!

6 comments:

  1. Renee it looks so good!! Sewing for ourselves is so much harder so getting two pieces done is huge. I'm eyeing Hayley's patterns and need to get them. I have loved all the Carolines I've seen, but the Julia is screaming at me now. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I've been wanting that cardi pattern and yours looks great. The top is cute, too. Thanks for sharing. Found you at Build a Better Wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - these are lovely!! The peplum top really suits you and I love the colours you've chosen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely outfit. I think it fits you great! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my eye on those 2 patterns! Love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete